Sunday, March 13, 2016

God in a bottle


Some of us may have an image of God as a genie in a bottle. We think of Him as the almighty wish granter, giving us our every desire. While He absolutely does answer our prayers, we have to remember that it is within HIS WILL, not ours. And His will? Well, it's always better. Always, always.

If you ask my closest girlfriends, they will tell you I like to be very specific in my prayer requests. I don't just pray for strength, or happiness. Don't get me wrong, those are great requests, but I like to know what it is that you are seeking that will give you that strength or happiness. I think it's important that God knows what exactly it is that we are praying for. I will never forget during my ultrasound in December, literally crying out to God and my real father in Heaven (yes, both of my daddies are in Heaven to hear me) and begging for something not to be wrong with this child. I was just chanting over and over exactly what I wanted the nurse to say. But somehow amidst the crying, I just knew in my heart that the pregnancy was no longer viable.

You see the problem with thinking God is going to give us every wish, is that when it doesn't happen like we planned, we start to question His authority. We may even question His love for us, or if we have somehow failed Him. That is not God's plan for us, and not at all how He wants us to live but He does like to teach us patience.

Imagine if every time our children asked us for something, we gave it to them, right when they asked. We know what's best for them don't we? Like when I tell my 2 year old he can't have gummy bears before bed (because I know it will keep him up late and he will wake up grouchy and possibly with a tummy-ache?) We have to tell them no sometimes, or "not right now, son". What would they learn if we didn't? And more importantly, would they really love us? Or just what we can do for them. God doesn't want to be our genie in a bottle because He wants us to trust Him and lean on Him during those times of waiting. It's what strengthens our relationship with Him. You may very well hear him tell you "not right now, son."

So for the person who is selling a house and not gotten any offers, the timing is not quite right yet. For the person who is struggling to find a job, God is creating the perfect opportunity just for you. For the mother who is dealing with infertility issues, maybe it's because there is already a child born in the world who is unwanted and needs you. So don't give up. Don't think God isn't listening. He hears every word you say. He just has a better plan for you, a good, pleasing, and perfect plan.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing, and perfect will." - Romans 12:2



No comments:

Post a Comment